LA IMAGEN ROTA

A BILINGUAL PAGE TO COLLECT AND DISCUSS COMMENTS ABOUT FILMS, THEATER AND ART AND SOME POLITICS. ENGLISH/SPANISH

Thursday, December 9, 2010

NAKED BEACH
A scene from an original screenplay by Sergio Giral.
PETE’S APARTMENT INT. DAY

A small place with naked walls. A couch next to a coffee table and an
armchair. In a corner a naked dinning table. Next to it, a drawer. Throughout a door a small dark bedroom can be seeing. MIKE writes compulsively on his lap top. PETE opens the litttle bag and takes a pinch of dust and sniffs. SANIBEL paints her toenails seated on the armchair.

PETE
Where are you from, Mike?

MIKE answers while typing.

MIKE
What do you mean where am I from?
PETE
Yes, where do you come from?
MIKE
Well I was born here, in Florida.
My father is American and my mother Hispanic.
Why? Why do you ask me that?
PETE
Then you must know a lot about racial issues?
MIKE
Like any other American, I guest.
PETE
It doesn't seem so....
MIKE
Why?
PETE
Look by yourself.

PETE goes to the tables and throws to MIKE some pages from the script. MIKE reads some lines.

MIKE
What's wrong with it?
PETE
Okay, let me ask you a question.
Would you let you sister get fucked by a nigger?
MIKE
Well, If she loves him, why not?
PETE
Mike. you're worse than I thought. You're a nigger lover.
MIKE
Fuck you, PETE! I just ain't racist. That's all.
PETE
Perhaps because you aren’t white enough
MIKE
Cut that shit. I'm white.
PETE
Let me tell you things that you don't know. Where the
differences are. My grandparents came from Germany.
Yours, hell knows where from. Look at Sanibel, she’s a Jew.
That’s why she is so unhappy.

SANIBEL remains silent and stops painting her toenails.

MIKE
I won't discuss that crap with you. It is my script and
you don't have any right to criticizes it.
PETE
But you’re writing about me. Aren’t you?
MIKE
You know, PETE, we are through with this shit, I'm sorry
it didn't work out. Thank you for your help but I think this
is all over.
MIKE stands up and close the laptop.
PETE
Cool it down, man! This is just the beginning.
I want you to write a true story not any fucking
ideology shit loaded into your head.
America is a racist country and you know it,
whites are racist and motherfucker niggers are racist too.
Tell me Mike. Are you racist?
MIKE
In a way, everybody likes to look someone down.
PETE
You see!.. (To Sanibel) Now, tell me, Sanibel, are you racist?
SANIBEL stands up and starts to leave to the room.
PETE
She doesn’t know Jewish are racist too…she’s stupid.
SANIBEL
Cut that crap, PETE
PETE
You’re just a piece of shit, Sanibel. A poor Jewish hooker
piece of shit.
SANIBEL
Fuck you, PETE!
She runs to the next room. PETE returns to MIKE
PETE
Stand by reality, Mike, don't want to turn me into
a black stupid turd. No argues, Mike. Keep me being white,

MIKE returns to his typing. PETE traces few lines of dust. He snorts and offers to MIKE.

MIKE
Not now… continue!

PETE relaxes on the couch and keeps on telling.
PETE
My old man used to tell me "PETE, America is full of queers,
Jews and niggers. We are the only pure blood here.
We have to kick them out of our Arian nation."
MIKE
Your old man was a mo'fuck. Do you think like him?
PETE
I'm cooler. I'm more democrat. I don't mind,
as long as they don't bother me. If they do, I could kill.
MIKE
Have you ever killed?
PETE
Back home, some time ago, me and my friend Alan
used to bash immigrants. Mexicans, Haitians, Jamaicans
All the scum of the world. We waited for them by night, in a
dark alley outside their bars. Alan pretended to be an
immigration officer and ask them for documentation, then I
would come by the back and beat the shit out of them mother
fuckers before they even can say shit. Some had money, some
had jewelry. Others, nothing...Those got the worse beatings.
One way ticket to hell.
MIKE
Which means, you have killed
PETE
Well, maybe. (He shrugs) I never knew what the fuck
happened to them, but once we had a tough one.
A Haitian he was, a real tough trade.
PETE stands up goes to a wooden box and takes out an iron mitt and stick it in his fingers.
PETE
I hit him in the face. He began bleeding but kept on fighting.
We rolled all over the street. Then Alan came from behind
And did something to the nigger. Don’t know what.
I was barely conscious and I heard a groan, as somebody
drowning, and the bastard stopped hitting me. We ran out of
the place. Next morning, I heard the news about a Haitian who
was found dead in the same spot where we were
the night before. He had his throat sliced open.
I can't tell if he was the one; I mean I don’t know for sure,
but any way, I have nothing to loose. Alan killed him, not me.

PETE snort one more line.

MIKE
What ever happened with your friend Alan?
PETE
He was caught one day and end in jail.
You see, Mike. He had a very bad temper, never knew how to
say I'm sorry or excuse me... He was a real fucking ass hole.
Another inmate killed him…A nigger son-of-a bitch killed him.
MIKE
Well, what goes around comes around!

Naked Beach copyright 2007

No comments: